Important Information You Should Have

Whether you are a new resident of Moore County, are considering moving to the Sandhills or have lived here for years, we have compiled a list of information (phone numbers, addresses, etc.) that we think you might need to know or at least have ready access to, just in case.  For complete information on any of the topics included, contact the numbers listed.


Electrical Service Providers
Four choices are available for electricity in Moore County: 

Duke Energy Progress,, provides electricity for a majority of the county. To get connected, contact customer service at (800) 452-2777. Duke Energy Progress also can be reached at (919) 508-5400. Local pay stations are located at City Jewelers No. 4, 275 W. Morganton Road, Southern Pines; at Friendly Check, 1701 N. Sandhills Blvd., Suite H, Aberdeen; and at Walmart, 250 Turner St. in Aberdeen. For outages, call (800) 419-6356. 

Randolph Electric Cooperative distributes electricity in primarily rural areas, including parts of Moore County. Membership applications are available at or contact customer service at (910) 948-3401. 

Pee Dee Electric is a member-owned distributor of electric power, which serves Jackson Springs. For information or service, call (910) 997-4441 or visit 

Central Electric Membership Corporation serves a portion of Moore County in the Carthage area. For information and service, visit or call (919) 774-4900 or (800) 446-7752. To report an outage, call (877) 766-6769.

Natural Gas Providers

Piedmont Natural Gas Corporation may be reached at (800) 275-6264, (800) 752-7504 or at A number of gas vendors in town can meet your natural gas needs.


The mission of the Public Works Department is to preserve and enhance the quality of life in Moore County by providing an adequate supply of safe water to all customers, and a consolidated system for the environmentally responsible collection, treatment and disposal of sanitary sewage. You may contact the Public Works Department by calling (910) 947-6315 or visiting its office at 5227 U.S. 15-501, Carthage.

Telephone Service

Land Lines
Local residential service is available through Windstream by calling (800) 347-1991.

Most other areas are served by CenturyLink. Residential customers may call (888) 723-8010 for service connections. Business customers should call (800) 786-6272.

Customers interested in Randolph Telephone Membership Corporation should call (336) 879-5684. It offers high-speed Internet, computer services, television and more.

Time Warner Cable offers digital phone service. For information, call (910) 692-6684 or visit


Many wireless options also are available. Service providers in Moore County include A-1 Wireless, AT&T, CenturyLink, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular and Verizon. Retail vendors and Internet sites can offer further information.


Free copies of the Moore County Telephone Directory are avilable at 145 W. Pennsylvania Ave. in downtown Southern Pines. Search for local information online at

Cable Television

Time Warner Cable serves Robbins, Southern Pines, Aberdeen, Beacon Ridge, Carthage, Foxfire, Pinebluff, Pinehurst, Pinewild, Seven Lakes, Taylortown and select unincorporated areas of Moore County. Call (910) 692-6684 Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

Charter Communications is the cable provider for Whispering Pines and other unincorporated areas of the county. For information, call (866) 472-2200.

County Services

Moore County Sales Tax

A 6.75 percent sales tax is collected at the point of sale in Moore County and in most places in North Carolina. Of that, 4.75 percent goes to the state coffers and 2 percent stays here in the county. Motor vehicles and boats are subject to an additional 3 percent state highway use tax, up to $1,500.

Public Assistance

Moore County Department of Social Services, Carthage, offers food and nutrition services. For information, call (910) 947-2436.

Marriage Licenses

Both parties should come to the Moore County Register of Deeds office, (910) 947- 6370. Both the bride-to-be and bridegroomelect need identification, including a Social Security number. Applicants under the age of 16 are prohibited to marry in North Carolina, and proof of divorce is required for divorced applicants, if divorced less than a year, including the month and year of their last divorces. The fee is $60, and the license is good for 60 days. The document must be returned to the Register of Deeds Office in the county where it was issued. A marriage license may be obtained in any county in North Carolina and the licensed couple may be married in any county in the state. The marriage does not have to take place in the same county where the license was obtained. Marriage licenses are issued between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, excluding holidays. The register of deeds can also help with local birth and death certificates, as well as property transfers or military discharges. Website: or

Other Applications, Record Requests

The Moore County Clerk of Court’s Office in Carthage can help with domestic violence relief, probate, as well as other civil and criminal matters. Call (910) 722-5000. The office is located at 102 Monroe St., Carthage, and is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

The Moore County Register of Deeds Office in Carthage holds local births, deaths, marriages, property transfers, military discharges and many maps. Call (910) 947-6370. Passport service is available at the post office in Robbins.

For more information, the U.S. State Department maintains a toll-free number, (877) 487-2778.



The Pilot, located at 145 West Pennsylvania Ave., Southern Pines, is a twice weekly community newspaper. For information or to subscribe, call (910) 692-7271 or visit

Seven Lakes Times, a community newspaper published every other Friday, is located at 1107 Seven Lakes Drive, West End. Call (910) 673- 0111 or visit


Pinehurst Magazine, Pinehurst. Call (910) 295-8899.

PineStraw magazine, Southern Pines, the magazine of life, art and entertainment in the Sandhills. Call (910) 693-2467 or visit

Locally Produced Television:

WYBE Sandhills TV 3, Cable Channel 3, 200 Short Road, Southern Pines. Call (910) 695- 0044.


WIOZ Star 102.5 FM, soft rock, Southern Pines. Call (910) 692-2107.

WLHC-FM Life 103.1, Robbins, timeless favorites. Call (919) 775-1031.

WEEB 990 AM, Southern Pines, talk radio. Call (910) 692-7440.

WIOZ-AM 550, Southern Pines. Call (910) 692-2107.

Public Meetings

Moore County Board of Commissioners, (910) 947-6403, first Tuesday, 5:30 p.m., third Tuesday, 5:30 p.m., Carthage Old Courthouse, second floor.

Moore County Board of Education, (910) 947-2976, second Monday, 6 p.m., Administrative Office of Schools, U.S. 15-501. Work sessions first Monday, 4:30 p.m.

Aberdeen Town Board, (910) 944-1115, second Monday, 6 p.m., Town Hall, 115 N. Poplar. A work session is held at 5:30 p.m. two Thursdays before the regular board meeting.

Cameron Town Board, (910) 245-3212, fourth Tuesday, 7 p.m., Town Hall.

Carthage Town Board, (910) 947-2331, third Tuesday, 6:30 p.m., McDonald Building, 203 McReynolds St.

Foxfire Village Council, (910) 295-5107, second Tuesday, 6:30 p.m., Village Hall, Town Hall Drive.

Pinebluff Town Board, (910) 281-3124, third Thursday, 7:30 p.m., Town Hall, 325 E. Baltimore.

Pinehurst Village Council, (910) 295- 1900. The Village Council typically holds two regular meetings per month in the Assembly Hall of Village Hall, 395 Magnolia Road, on the second and fourth Tuesday of the month at 4:30 p.m. In August, November and December, there is only one scheduled regular meeting.

Robbins Town Board, (910) 948-2431, second Thursday, 6 p.m., Robbins Fire Rescue Station, 301 Branson Circle.

Seven Lakes Landowners, (910) 673- 4931, last Wednesday, 7 p.m., North Clubhouse.

Southern Pines Town Council, (910) 692- 7021, second Tuesday, 7 p.m., Douglass Center, West Pennsylvania Avenue.

Taylortown Town Council, (910) 295- 4010, last Tuesday, 6 p.m., Town Hall, 8350 Main Street.

Vass Town Board, (910) 245-4676, second Monday, 7:30 p.m., Municipal Building.

Whispering Pines Village Council, (910) 949-3141, second Wednesday, 6 p.m. at the Village Hall, 10 Pine Ridge Drive.

Moore County Joint Nursing Home/Adult Care Home Community Advisory Committee, advocates for the residents’ rights. Open meetings are held quarterly at the Senior Enrichment Center, U.S. 15-501, two miles north of the Traffic Circle. For more information, contact Barbara Venditti, chairman, at (910) 295-4081.


Voter Registration

To register to vote in North Carolina, you must be: 

  • A United States citizen. 
  • 18 years of age by the next general election. 
  • If convicted of a felony, your rights of citizenship have been restored. 
  • A resident 30 days prior to the election date. 
  • Not registered nor will you vote in any other county or state.

For information on how to register to vote in Moore County, call the Board of Elections office at (910) 947-3868 or stop by 700 Pinehurst Ave., Carthage. Registration forms may be obtained at most area libraries, municipal offices or town halls. You also may register to vote while applying for a driver’s license. The deadline to register is 25 days before the day of election. Individual polling place locations may be found on the Moore County website at, or inquire at the elections office in person.


Driver’s License: New residents of North Carolina have 60 days after establishing permanent residency to obtain a driver’s license. Applicants must take a written exam and pass an eye exam. Applicants must bring two forms of identification, one of which must include a document establishing proof of residency (e.g., lease, utility bill, mail sent to N.C. address, etc.) and one that proves age and identity. Proof of liability insurance also is required. N.C. Department of Motor Vehicles, Moore County Division, 521 S. Sandhills Blvd., U.S. 1 South, Aberdeen (910) 944-7555.

Vehicle Registration: Out-of-state vehicles must be registered, in general, in 30 days or when gainful employment is accepted, whichever occurs first. The North Carolina License Plate Agency, Moore County Division, can help with registration at the following location: 1313 N. Sandhills Blvd., Aberdeen (910) 944-1303 To register a motor vehicle, residents must present a valid North Carolina ID, as well as the title and valid registration card from the prior state of residence. If your title is held by a lien-holder, you must provide the lien-holder’s name and address. Also bring the title fee and registration fee, proof of address and proof of insurance. Registration must be renewed annually.

Vehicle Inspections: New residents must have their vehicles inspected a year after getting their license plate or by the last day of the month printed on the inspection sticker. Inspections are required annually. Vehicles 35 years old or older are exempt from the North Carolina vehicle safety inspection. The cost of a passed safety inspection is $43.60. The vehicle inspection can be performed at any of the 7,500 licensed inspection stations throughout the state. Most service stations, automobile dealerships and vehicle repair garages are licensed inspection stations. If a vehicle fails the safety inspection, it cannot be operated beyond the expiration date of the current sticker. Moore and seven other counties joined the state’s emissions system testing program to help improve air quality. For more information, visit

Emergency Numbers

Police, Sheriff, Fire, Rescue and Medical
Dial 911

Sandhills Urgent Care
(910) 692-5555

N.C. Highway Patrol
(800) 572-8765 or (919) 733-3861

Poison Control Center
(800) 222-1222

Helpful Information

Moore County Sheriff’s Office
(910) 947-2931

Moore Regional Hospital
(910) 715-1000

Emergency Management
(910) 947-6317

County Manager
(910) 947-6363

Red Cross, Moore County Chapter
(910) 692-8571

Directory Assistance:
Dial 411

Post Offices

Aberdeen, 28315
111 S. Poplar St. • (910) 944-1721

Cameron, 28326
450 Carthage St. • (910) 245-4211

Carthage, 28327
105 S. Ray St. • (910) 947-2377

Eagle Springs, 27242
1984 N.C. 211 • (910) 673-7899

High Falls, 27259
1368 N.C. 22 • (910) 464-5333

Hoffman, 28363
2717 North U.S. 1 • (910) 281-3515

Jackson Springs, 27281
2411 J.S. Road • (910) 673-3251

Lakeview, 28350
278 Camp Easter Road • (910) 245-4411

Lemon Springs, 28355
7246 Lemon Springs Road • (919) 776-1833

Pinebluff, 28373
125 N. Walnut St. • (910) 281-3918

Pinehurst, 28374
80 Blake Blvd. • (910) 295-1231

Robbins, 27325
181 N. Middleton St. • (910) 948-2230

Southern Pines, 28387
190 SW Broad St. • (910) 692-2431

Vass, 28394
120 Seaboard St. • (910) 245-4169

West End, 27376
5161 N.C. 211 • (910) 673-8041

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt